A Travellerspoint blog

July 5

Sydney Australia

-17 °C

We had crossed the International Dateline and lost an entire day. We had left on the 3rd and arrived on the 5th. If that many hours in the darkness weren’t enough to confuse a person, losing a whole day somewhere along the way, was definitely enough. The relief I felt as I stepped off that plane and into the terminal was enormous. It was like when Dorothy opened the door in Munchkin land and went from black & white to color. I remember the terminal was all shades of blue. And it was bright. The first thing I did was grab a Sydney guidebook off of a rack. There were a ton of young people with surfboards which to me was very stereotypical. The whole atmosphere in this airport was so much more laidback than at LAX. We stood in the long lines to finally gain entrance to this strange new country, and then made our way to collect our bags. The first thing I noticed when I stepped out the doors of the Sydney Airport was the air. And it was chilly. The cooler air woke me immediately. Even though I’d been restlessly snoozing off and on for hours; I really hadn’t slept in 20-some hours. It had been arranged that a driver, I assume from the travel agency was going to pick us up from the airport to bring us to our hotel. I think we were all a combination of excited and tired. The plan was to just get to the hotel, take a couple of hours to rest and then see what we could do for the day. After all, the day was just starting in Sydney. The driver loaded all of us and our belongings into his maxi-cab and took us for our first ride in Australia, on the wrong side of the road. For me, it was nerve wracking! My nerves were already pretty shot from the flight, then this. I had to look down most of the ride because I kept thinking we were going to get into an accident. And then we pulled up in front of the hotel. I really wish I had pulled out my camera and taken a picture. There was a doorman, in full tails, top hat and white gloves. He took our bags and ushered us into a beautiful lobby. I felt so grungy standing next to him. The lobby was beautiful. It was the nicest hotel I had ever stepped into and I didn’t feel like I belonged there. It was definitely something that I couldn’t have afforded on my own. We checked in and went up to our rooms. There were three rooms in all; JD and I in one, Jim & Huey in another, and Bonnie & Sarah in the last one. Walking into the room was another shock. They were definitely first class rooms. The bathroom was to die for. The tub was long and deep. The first thing I did as soon as I put my suitcase down was go into the bathroom and fill up that giant tub and had myself a nice hot bubble bath. It was exactly what I needed after the events of the past 24hrs. After that I felt renewed and ready to face our first day in Australia…

Posted by pixcee 08:31 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint