A Travellerspoint blog

July 20

Brisbane Australia

-17 °C

This morning we got up early and had to head out to some government office to that has records of births, deaths & marriages. Huey had to get a hold of a death certificate for his mother to bring back to Canada for something. We got that and then just wandered around the waterfront for the rest of the morning and afternoon. We decided that we were going to book a dinner cruise for that evening. We got our tickets for the boat cruise then decided that while we waited we would do one of the daytime tours as well as hit the Brisbane Botanical Gardens while we waited for the tour to depart. It was the warmest day that we’d had on our trip so far and we were able to take off our jackets while we wandered through along the paths. The gardens were busy with people walking with other people or pets, people playing Frisbee or just laying around on the grass reading or sleeping. It was relaxing and felt so nice to just roam in the sunshine. We found out that there was a bus tour that cruised around the city then headed to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary & Mount Coot-tha so we decided to try that. We boarded the bus and the driver introduced himself. He was the best tour guide we’d had so far. He was funny and told stories and joked and really made the tour very interesting. He told us a story about an author that has written a book about Australia and I was instantly hooked. I made a mental note of the name and ended up buying most of his books when we got home! Anyway, Brisbane is a beautiful city. The koala sanctuary was nice. We got to pet & feed kangaroos and wallabies again. I even got to have my picture taken holding a koala! I was standing in line, waiting for my turn, very excited to hold a real koala! I walked up to the girl who was holding it for me to take and the smell hit me instantly! It STUNK!  I didn’t realize how bad those things smell! It almost pooped on me and would have if the girl hadn’t noticed that it was going to and took it away from me quickly. When it was done, I took it back. It cuddled up to me, practically half asleep and before I was ready the girl took the picture. I gave the lil thing back to the girl and walked back to my group, who met me with squinty faces from the smell that clung to my sweater the rest of the day. That was ok though; I got a nice big picture of it and a great story to tell everyone back home.

After leaving the Koala Sanctuary we headed to Mt Cooth-tha for the view of the city. It was really high and at the top was a little restaurant and ice cream store. We took a bunch of pictures of the city, which from this vantage point was stunning. I’m not a big city person, and I normally hate them, but I really loved this city. It was big and bustling and busy but so pretty and clean. I can easily see myself spending more time in that city. We barely even broke the surface of it too! Seeing it from the lookout, it was clear how much of the city that we were going to miss.

It was starting to get late and the tour was winding up. We didn’t have much time to get back to the hotel so we could change (I really needed to after that koala!) and then walk down to the waterfront to meet up with our dinner cruise. We made it with time to waste. The boat came and it was one of those old paddle boats with the big wheel on it! We got on and found a table and the cruise started. It was now dark and the lights of the city lit up the waterfront. I was a little worried because I had never been on a boat that big before and had certainly never eaten on a boat that big before and I didn’t know if my stomach could handle it. The dinner didn’t take long to start. It was a buffet style meal and we were to just help ourselves. The food was DELICIOUS! Roast beef, potatoes, veggies, deserts…Mmm Mmm Mmm! It was as close to home cooking as we’d had since we had gotten there. I loved it!

While we ate a DJ played a guitar and softly sang. Everyone started talking and we found out that Bonnie is really afraid of water! She hadn’t said anything when we bought our tickets for the cruise and just kind of sat there looking slightly scared. Of course, we all felt bad after that but we didn’t know. The mood was lightened when the DJ came over to our table with his microphone and serenaded her!! The whole table was roaring with laughter and Bonnie turned three shades of red. It definitely made everyone feel much better. After the meal had wrapped up the DJ started to play normal music from his little booth. The table behind us had a group of about 8 people and they had clearly all been drinking. They were loud and rowdy. The DJ played an ABBA song and their table went crazy! The women got up and started dancing like crazy. The DJ loved it and played like 4 more ABBA songs. The whole boat had their eyes on them and everyone was in giggles. JD and I wandered out onto the deck to walk around the boat and look at the lights. It was a cool night, but not cold. We were full. We had laughed a lot. It was the perfect way to end an already great day…..

Posted by pixcee 08:57 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint